Part of the OCC-COVID Webinar Series
March 5, 2021
Addressing the confusion around face coverings, masks, and respirators. Join our interdisciplinary team who will provide guidance on some of the many questions being asked by workplace parties and the public. During the pandemic, information about face coverings has become confusing and a point of contention. Most people want to find the best way to protect themselves and others. There is a lot of confusion between “masks”, “respirators” and various other types of face coverings. In this session, an interdisciplinary team will provide guidance on some of the many questions that are being asked by workplace parties and the public:
- Face Coverings, masks and respirators – how are they different?
- What works as “source control”, to protect others from us?
- What is needed to protect us from virus coming from others?
- How do you know if your face covering really works? Can you combine?
- What standards (if any) apply to face coverings, masks (surgical), and respirators? How does a manufacturer get a product certified as meeting a standard?
- What types face coverings, masks (surgical), and respirators are tested? What has the testing shown us?
- Are N95s (or more protective) respirators, being manufactured in Canada? Are there any barriers?
- How do you know if your respirator might be a counterfeit?
- How do you assure a good face fit?
- Do we still need to preserve stocks of N95 (or more protective) respirators for health care and other frontline workers?
- What do we know about re-using and cleaning respirators?
MODERATORS: Dr. Simon Smith, Alec Farquhar (OHCOW)
SESSIONS / SPEAKERS:
Face Coverings and Respirators – Filling the Gaps
Dr. Simon Smith, recently retired from career in respiratory protection research but continuing dedication to ISO, CSA and AIHA Respiratory Protection Committees and Working Groups
Personal Protective Equipment – Health Canada and NRC
Amanda Jones, Senior Scientific Evaluator, Health Canada
Maria Negulescu, P.Eng. Industrial Technology Advisor, National Research Council Canada
Respirators in the Pandemic
Stacy Richardson, Senior Health & Safety Application Professional, 3M
Face Coverings, Surgical Masks, Respirators
Lisa Brosseau, Industrial Hygienist, Speaker, Award-winning professor, researcher, writer and educator
NOTE: View the resources from each of these sessions using the links above