Temporary Foreign Agricultural Workers and COVID 19 Safety Guidance & Resources
COVID19 introduces serious and complex health and safety challenges for the arrival, isolation and work of temporary foreign workers in Ontario agriculture, particularly re: healthcare capacity, public and occupational health, and workplace communication and coordination for this disconnected population, made more vulnerable by high-density housing.
OHCOW MFW Program staff continue to collaborate with employers, workers, partners and stakeholders and offer experience and support to contribute to frontline planning, preparedness and response. Don’t hesitate to contact us for more information or assistance.
COVID 19 Resources for Farm Workers
NEW: COVID-19 Resource Library for International Agricultural Workers and Employers, includes:
- Extensive list of COVID-19 safety guidance information for use by employers to inform workplace safety plans, policies and practices
- Extensive list of resources, guidelines, posters, videos, etc. for international farm workers, in English, Spanish and Thai
Produced in partnership with the Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association (OFVGA), this is the first deliverable of a larger project intended to address gaps in appropriate COVID-19 resources for international farm workers in Ontario. A more complete and targeted set of resources will be made available for the spring 2021 season.
COVID-19 Safety for Ontario Farm Workers Video Series:
1. Introduction, Risks on Farms, and COVID-19 Safety
2a. COVID-19 Symptoms, Reporting & Income for Farm Workers
2b. Non-Emergency Healthcare for Farm Workers
3. Working Together on the Farm: Health & Safety Rights & Responsibilities
Serie de videos de seguridad de COVID-19 para trabajadores agrícolas de Ontario:
1. Introducción, riesgos de COVID-19 en las granjas y seguridad de COVID-19
2a. Síntomas, informes e ingresos de COVID-19 para los trabajadores agrícolas
2b. Atención médica no de emergencia para trabajadores agrícolas
3. Trabajando juntos en la granja: derechos y responsabilidades de salud y seguridad
COVID 19 educational resources (in English, Spanish & Thai) from credible sources, including several low literacy:
• Ontario posters & resources, including many translated into Spanish
• Comprehensive list of Canadian, US, and Mexican resources, English & Spanish resources
• NON Emergency Health Care Resources for TFAWs by Region
We will be updating resources regularly. (Don’t hesitate to send suggestions)
|Including Agriculture sector||And WSPS Agriculture guidance|
|• Guidance note||• Agriculture sector|
|• Poster for employers||• Agricultural supervisors|
|• Poster for employees|
|• Additional sector guidance|
OHCOW and Partner COVID 19 Advice on Risks & Solutions
• COVID-19 and Ontario Farm Worker Health and Safety June 22nd webinar by OHCOW & MLTSD
Working Together to Communicate Important COVID-19 Prevention Information to the Ontario Agricultural Sector
• Heightened COVID-19 Risks to Temporary Foreign (Migrant) Agricultural Workers (TFAWs) And Recommended Actions in the 2020 Agricultural Season Occupational Medicine perspective paper
by Donald C Cole MD, DOHS, MSc, FRCP(C), Occupational, Environmental and Public Health Medicine Consultant
• Migrant Worker Health Expert Working Group (MWHEWG)
New website, migrantworker.ca (Includes FAQs (+ in Spanish)
MEHEWG report to ESDC (last update June 9, 2020):
Recommendations for Overcoming Health Challenges Faced By Migrant Agricultural Workers during the COVID-19-Virus Pandemic
• Alliance for Healthier Communities June 8, 2020 letter on Supports for Migrant Agricultural Workers during Covid-19
• March 22, 2020, OHCOW Temporary Foreign Agricultural Workers and COVID 19 Safety Considerations contributed to early thinking and planning.
Additional Government Guidance
Integrated Farm COVID 19 Safety Plan Framework tying together provincial & federal government guidance, search on topics important to COVID 19 safety planning on farms.
ESDC FAQs Answered May 29, 2020 & Updated Guidance May 19th
New US CDC Prevention Checklist for Agricultural Employers Agricultural Employer Checklist for Creating a COVID-19 Assessment and Control Plan, based on the Agriculture Workers and Employers Interim Guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Labor.