Temporary Foreign Agricultural Workers and COVID 19 Safety Guidance & Resources
COVID19 introduces serious and complex health and safety challenges for the arrival, isolation and work of temporary foreign workers in Ontario agriculture, particularly re: healthcare capacity, public and occupational health, and workplace communication and coordination for this disconnected population, made more vulnerable by high-density housing.
OHCOW MFW Program staff continue to collaborate with employers, workers, partners and stakeholders and offer experience and support to contribute to frontline planning, preparedness and response. Don’t hesitate to contact us for more information or assistance.
COVID 19 Resources for Farm Workers
COVID 19 educational resources (in English, Spanish & Thai) from credible sources, including several low literacy:
• Ontario posters & resources, including many translated into Spanish
• Comprehensive list of Canadian, US, and Mexican resources, English & Spanish resources
We will be updating resources regularly. (Don’t hesitate to send suggestions)
|Including Agriculture sector||And WSPS Agriculture guidance|
|• Guidance note||• Agriculture sector|
|• Poster for employers||• Agricultural supervisors|
|• Poster for employees|
|• Additional sector guidance|
OHCOW and Partner COVID 19 Advice on Risks & Solutions
Working Together to Communicate Important COVID-19 Prevention Information to the Ontario Agricultural Sector
• Heightened COVID-19 Risks to Temporary Foreign (Migrant) Agricultural Workers (TFAWs) And Recommended Actions in the 2020 Agricultural Season Occupational Medicine perspective paper
by Donald C Cole MD, DOHS, MSc, FRCP(C), Occupational, Environmental and Public Health Medicine Consultant
• Migrant Worker Health Expert Working Group (MWHEWG)
MEHEWG report to ESDC (last update June 9, 2020):
Recommendations for Overcoming Health Challenges Faced By Migrant Agricultural Workers during the COVID-19-Virus Pandemic
• Alliance for Healthier Communities June 8, 2020 letter on Supports for Migrant Agricultural Workers during Covid-19
• March 22, 2020, OHCOW Temporary Foreign Agricultural Workers and COVID 19 Safety Considerations contributed to early thinking and planning.
Additional Government Guidance
Integrated Farm COVID 19 Safety Plan Framework tying together provincial & federal government guidance, search on topics important to COVID 19 safety planning on farms.
New US CDC Prevention Checklist for Agricultural Employers Agricultural Employer Checklist for Creating a COVID-19 Assessment and Control Plan, based on the Agriculture Workers and Employers Interim Guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Labor.