Ergonomics is the study of the working environment, from the type of industry to the to the tools used. The main goal of office ergonomics is to establish your office space so that it fits you and the job you are doing.
The benefits of having the office space set up correctly are;
- A reduction in back and neck pain
- Headaches and eyestrain are less likely to effect you
- Issues such as bursitis and tendon may be prevented. Both problems are linked to the repetition of tasks.
Accidents in the Workplace are one of the main causes of illness and injury that affect most Canadians. Both have the potential of influencing your job performance.
Factors that cause injuries in the workplace are;
- Trips and Falls.
- Repetitive movements. The result of this is Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Heavy lifting.
- Working with vibrating tools.
Office ergonomics can assist in creating a more comfortable work station thus reducing stress and injury. The main focus areas to set up your office work space are:
- Workstation setup, how you sit and how long you stay sitting or in a fixed position.
- How you do a certain task, the movements made, and the repetition of those movements.
- Lighting, noise and temperature.
- Tools used and whether they are set up correctly to meet your requirements.